Music can help with coping:
I developed a list of old and new songs from many different kinds of music. Some of these songs and their lyrics could be helpful inspirational music for coping or healing during recovery.
First, try to find all of these songs from the Inspirational Music List on www.YouTube.com and chose the versions that have lyrics on the screen so you can follow the words. The songs are appropriate for adults, but there is another list available for teens at Inspirational Music for Teens. Avoid any that have upsetting images (if you watch the music videos). Play the ones you like as often as you want to, as one of your ways of coping.
- A Little Bit Stronger – by Sara Evans
- Alive Again – by Matt Maher
- Anyway – by Martina McBride
- Breakaway – by Kelly Clarkson
- Coming Out of the Dark – by Gloria Estefan
- Count on Me – by Default
- Dare You to Move – by Switchfoot
- Dear Prudence – by Beatles
- Ever Since the World Began – by Survivor
- Eye of the Tiger – by Survivor
- Fix You – by Coldplay
- If You Just Believe (from The Polar Express soundtrack) – by Josh Groban
- Invincible – by Muse
- Hero – by Mariah Carey
- I Believe I Can Fly (from Space Jam soundtrack) – by R. Kelly
- I Hope You Dance – by Lee Ann Womack
- I Want to Live – by John Denver
- I Will Survive – by Gloria Gaynor
- I Won’t Let Go – by Rascal Flatts
- Keep Your Mind Wide Open (from Bridge to Teribithia soundtrack) – Anna Sophia Robb
- It’s My Life – by Bon Jovi
- Landslide – by Fleetwood Mac
- Let Me Be Myself – by 3 Doors Down
- Little Wonders (From Meet the Robinsons soundtrack) – by Rob Thomas
- Never Surrender – by Corey Hart
- One Step at a Time – by Jordin Sparks
- Peace Train – by Cat Stevens
- Reach – by Gloria Estefan
- Simple Man – by Lynyrd Skynard
- The Circle of Life (from The Lion King soundtrack) – by Elton John
- The Climb – by Miley Cyrus
- The Rose – by Bette Midler
- Times Like These – by Foo Fighters
- Unwritten – by Natasha Bedingfield
- You Raise Me Up (from Secret Garden soundtrack) – by Brian Kennedy and Josh Grobin
- Win – by Brian McKnight
Enjoy the Music!
What other songs have been inspirational, healing, or comforting to you?
Are there some other songs that you think should be added to this list?
Feel free to contact Mary Knutson to recommend more songs.
The songs above were recommended by Mary Knutson RN, Joyce Clark RN, and the following websites or blogs:
Blog #5 10-28-15 by Mary Knutson RN, MSN of Health Vista, Inc.